Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Fear

Fear is probably one reason why a lot of people come to Alanon and Alateen. I know it's why I came so many years ago. I was afraid that my mother was going to die with me hating her. I didn't want that to happen. Now here we are several years later, and she's not dead yet. I'm still learning from Alanon though. I was going to post something profound about Fear and what it means to me and my recovery and how it can get in the way of being a healthy person. I did a little searching on the internet though, and went in another direction. I wish I had the guts to do Alateen when I was a teen. It probably would have helped me a lot. At the time though I remember thinking that group therapy of any kind was a waste of time. MY life was unique, and no one else would understand. Alateen, group therapy, etc.. none of that was going to touch me. I tried Alanon a little when I was in college, but it wasn't until I was 28 or 29 when I finally really GOT it.

In the process of my searching, I came across a lot of websites that listed the questions that sort of help people decide if Alanon or Alateen is for them. One of them was the Northwest Indiana website.
http://www.lakenetnwi.net/member/alanon/questions.htm

There are a lot of questions there, and it's sad how many of them ring true for me, even today. As an adult child of an alcoholic I am still plagued by some of the same things that I was bothered by when I was younger.

On the subject of fear though. Here's one that caught my attention:
9.      Are you afraid to speak up for fear the drinking or fighting with start again?

Um.. yeah. Isn't it odd that it's been almost a month since I've seen my mother. I've been sort of dancing around this whole thing of being mad at her, but not wanting a confrontation. I don't want to be the bad guy. I don't want to be the one who says the wrong thing. I don't want to trigger something, I don't even know what, that sends her off the deep end in some way.

Alanon helps, but I'll never be cured completely. I'm still living in fear, even today. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm not as fearful as I used to be. I still fear rejection but am aware of when that comes up and the fact that I don't need to accept unacceptable behavior. I've learned to walk away from drama. It feels much better than sticking around to receive negative energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but sometimes walking away can trigger more drama. I was very close to visiting her last night, and I didn't go. I feel guilty for not seeing her, but at the same time I don't need that negative energy that I know I'm going to get if/when I do see her.

    ReplyDelete