Monday, April 5, 2010

Celebrating with our Family of Choice

We had a pretty busy weekend. Taxes did not get done, grocery shopping BARELY got done, beds were left unmade, and dishes sat in the sink. The weather was nice, and there were better things to do than be inside.

One of my big accomplishments, that matters to no one but me, is that we did not spend time with my mother. A major holiday, in my family anyway, and I dodged, and dodged well I think. My mom pleaded being sick, and I did not argue. Then when my father gave us an invite to his girlfriend's house, I jumped at it. My father has been divorced from my mom since I was a baby. His girlfriend has only been widowed for 7-10 years. Her children are grown, and she has grandchildren. Although we've met her several times over the last two years, this was our first visit to her home, and only our second visit with her children and grandchildren (our first visit was in February). My daughter had a great time, and I think I did too. I know at first we were all nervous but eventually we relaxed and really enjoyed the day.

My father is family of course, but it was nice to spend time with the rest of them. My daughter is too young to really understand family dynamics and all of that. She doesn't understand that I am nervous about "intruding" on this other family, and I think that's good. My daughter is showing her love for these people unconditionally, and easily, and innocently. When we left, she gave one of the women a hug goodbye. I am not ready to call that woman "aunt" or "sister", but it joyed my heart to see the expression of kindness.

I am hopeful that my father's relationship will continue for many years. He seems so happy, and his girlfriend seems happy too. I am so glad that she sought him out, and things are going well for them. I think we are lucky beneficiaries of it too. While my mother may be crazy, and absent, and my in-laws are all out of state, we have a "family of choice" that is sane, and caring, and fun. It should be an interesting journey.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the Easter weekend and that thngs went well for you. Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete