Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Coming soon-- photography

Thanks to digital cameras everyone lately seems to feel like they are a photographer. I got a new digital camera for Christmas, and it is finally one that it is in my comfort zone. Slowly I am learning how to use it, and slowly I am remembering to slip it in my pocket for every day things. As a result, I have some photos of the lake, of nature, of things that aren't my daughter, and things that are.

Soon I will post some of the nature and lake ones here. My bit to contribute to the serenity of my fellow readers and bloggers. I am not a photographer, I am a writer. I will claim that. Even when I cannot write every day as I know all GOOD writers must, I still claim it.

My love of the lake, my love of water, comes from my alcoholic mother. My mother who spends too much time in the sun, and doesn't use sunblock, and tans to colors likely to induce skin cancer.. she gave me the gift of loving the beach and of loving the water. I'm a terrible swimmer, and have a lifelong phobia of diving, but I love being in the water anyway. I am passing that love on to my daughter. For the past several days we have made trips to the 2 beaches that we can walk to. It's too cold for swimming, but we bring the sand toys and play. Yesterday we made a sand castle at the "little beach"; on the weekend we visited the "big beach". As spring continues it's quest for summer, I am enjoying these times of serenity with her. I know these years will pass by quickly, and I want to hold on to them for as long as I can.

The child's birthday is over, Easter is passed us, and taxes have finally been completed (whew!). We have some more big events coming our way in May; but for today, for tomorrow, and as long as the rain stays away, I am enjoying the outdoors and being a working mother as much as I can.

4 comments:

  1. I can relate to this post, being a word person and someone who loves water. I love the water, spent too much time in the sun, tanned to colors likely to induce skin cancer. Until I did get skin cancer.

    Some of my favorite memories of my daughter were spent at whatever body of water was closest to our house. It was a regular weekend summer ritual. That and grilled cheese from a drive-in, and ice cream from a mom-and-pop shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog and wishing me a happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is great weather to get out and do some photography. I take my camera with me everywhere I go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the water, love words. I look forward to seeing your photography!
    Isn't it balancing to realize that our parents, despite their problems, gave us some beautiful things too? My alcoholic is my husband, and I can look at our daughter and see some great qualities she has inherited from him.
    It gives me hope.
    Thanks for your words!

    ReplyDelete