Thursday, April 8, 2010

Inspiration

Some bloggers are posting today about not feeling inspired, and others are doling out whole lists of what inspires them. So I'm inspired to write about "inspiration".

Actually I thought I'd share something about how I just get through a day when I feel like I can't get through it. Maybe it will help someone.

A long time ago I was sitting in church, I was a young teen probably, and had a world of trouble in my life with my alcoholic mother, divorced parents, boyfriends or whatever. Suicide was not an uncommon thought in those days, depression was common for me. So there I was one day and in our small little church that I attended with my father and maternal grandmother. I felt like the minister was talking to me, and maybe he was. There were only about 20-30 people there. He told a story about how when you get up in the morning and you just know the day is going to be crap basically, then think of something good at the end of the day and hang on to that thought all day long. That thought might be something as simple as brushing your teeth at bedtime, or eating a banana after school. It may not seem like much, but sometimes we don't have much to grasp on to.

I hung onto that. I don't have all the words to that sermon, and the minister died several years ago, but boy I liked him. He inspired me, he spoke to me, somehow, he got it.

So when your life seems like crap, and you don't have anything to look forward, put that banana or apple on your calendar for 7:15pm or whatever, and hang onto it for dear life if you need to.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tari,

    Thanks for your comment on my blog today - and for this post - I love this idea, and am going to try it the next time I have one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tari, thanks for this. It is a great idea. I'm going to try that as well.

    ReplyDelete