Thursday, August 12, 2010

Breathe in... breathe out

This is one of those times that I'm caught off guard. I didn't expect this to be so hard and yet here I am. My husband and I are pulling at each other. I am constantly reminded by myself and by him to detach and let go. This time it's letting go of my husband. We have a home repair project that as I write this is probably underway at least a little bit. My husband is in charge and is doing most of the work himself. However I keep butting in. "Shouldn't you be doing this? Did you think about that....?"  and his reply "Do you trust me or not honey? I told you I can do this, now get out of my way and let me do this. You have your own list..."

and he's right of course. My job is to stay out of his way for the yesterday and today. Then tomorrow I take orders and help out as needed. Then Saturday and Sunday my job is to keep the child away from the house and entertained. I got to pick the hotel at least. :-)

Today my husband called me at work a few times and told me of the "discoveries" he was making. Added layers of work, added money to be spent at the big orange store, added time spent doing the work.

I plan to leave our house on Friday afternoon, after helping him for the day. On Monday I hope to return to a functioning home, that functions the way that it does today with all the things working. In the meantime I need to be practicing and practicing my letting go and letting god, my detaching, trust, the serenity prayer, and living one hour at a time.

Of course it doesn't end there either. On Saturday and Sunday I'll be mostly in "single parent mode" and I will be negotiating with our child what we will do, where we will spend our time, where we will eat, etc. It will be a seesaw ride of trying to keep her busy while not wearing myself out too much. She's got more energy than I do I think, and it can be hard to keep up.  :-)

It's all worth it if things go well, and if things don't go well... well I don't want to think about that yet. I just need to get through the rest of this afternoon first. This moment, here, this blog post, etc.

Austell, GA, November 2, 2009 -- A contractor ...Image via Wikipedia




Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Wow can I relate. My husband is at Home Depo right now! He tells me an issue he has while he's working, but what he wants is just for me to listen. Why is that so easy at meetings and so hard when it's my husband? I feel like I have to fix it...

    Also - the first edition of the SteppersWisdom Blog Carnival was posted today. Look at it if you have time, and please consider submitting a post for the next edition.
    http://stepperswisdom.blogspot.com/

    This is completely a non-profit e-zine, posted to bring information and hope to those who are searching for answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Home repairs can be a real pain in the ass. I know because we have added on an entire wing to the house, painted and done lots of work on the property. We used to get in arguments about projects but now we can at least work fairly respectfully together.

    ReplyDelete