Thursday, July 26, 2012

Acceptance... of ourselves

Acceptance. I am thinking about this word a lot lately. I'm not sure if it's big enough to describe what I'm thinking on. I think about acceptance in that I have to accept that there are addicts in my life. I have to accept the 3 Cs (didn't Cause it, can't Cure it, can't Control it). I also think about that I have to Accept that I'm not perfect. No one is. All I can do is keep trying.

I've been working on my weight loss for 700 days now, 23 months just about. I still haven't gotten down to my goal weight but I joined an online community for strength and support and I'm about halfway there. Halfway there and a year behind schedule. Sound familiar? I realized that I was using my Al-Anon skills in my weight loss program and I feel a little proud of myself for making that happen. I am applying the principles in all my affairs. Yay!

So how about this one... this is a tough one, maybe especially for Adult Children of Alcoholics, but I imagine it's tough for a lot of folks.. I can accept that I'm GOOD. I'm good at writing. I'm good at motivating other people. I'm a good co-leader of one my local weight loss groups. I'm a good role model for my daughter and for other people. I might even be a good photographer, but I think I need more practice before I go that far.

Anyway, I can accept a compliment. I'm still humble I think, but I don't have to put myself down. I don't have to say "Oh I haven't reached my goal so it doesn't matter....". I've lost 35 pounds in 2 years. That does matter. I'm doing well, and thank you for saying so.

I hope I'm a good blogger too, and I hope that you out there realize that if you stick with whatever you are doing, like Al-Anon, you can make it work. Accept that.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you are a good blogger, which is why I am happy that I discovered you today.

    ReplyDelete