Monday, June 7, 2010

Courtesy

Courtesy was the subject of one of today's readings, and I took it in this morning. On Saturday I had been treated not with courtesy at a restaurant with my family. I responded with anger, which was probably not the right thing to do, but I was done with them. It was the second time in two months that I had been treated rudely by someone at that restaurant chain, and I feel like I am done with them. Oddly enough, even the name of the chain would suggest that they give friendly service (hint).

At home, I am thinking about that whole resentment thing that I posted about last week and then I am adding the courtesy message. Hmm... I would like to send my husband a nice big "Honey please do" list, but would that be courteous? Probably not! So I am trying to find other ways of communicating. A gentle nudge here and there instead. This morning it was another "Hey, when you want to do that big renovation project, let me know so I can take the time off from work..." I know he is busy with a million other things, but I think he wants it done too. Sometimes I worry that our house is going to literally fall apart before some of this stuff gets done, but that's another story.

So I am trying to remember "courtesy" today. My daughter does a great job of remembering to say "please", "thank you" and "excuse me", but do I? I try. I'm trying to take it beyond that too, and just "remember my manners" when I'm around others, which I don't always do.

1 comment:

  1. Courtesy seems to not be as prevalent these days. General lack of manners seems to be everywhere. I wonder whether it is simply that people aren't taught any more to be courteous or just don't care.

    ReplyDelete