Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Happy Cinco De Mayo!

Happy Cinco de Mayo everybody!

I don't know why I say that. I'm not Mexican. Then again, I'm not Irish as far as I know either, but I still said "Happy St. Patrick's Day" to folks back in March.

Friday would have been my grandmother's birthday. I'm thinking about that this week, and missing her. I was glad that my mom made May Day baskets this year. That was something that my grandmother used to do. My mom said she made around 112 of them. Some day I suppose I will be making them too.

4 comments:

  1. May Day baskets? That's a new one for me. Sounds like a cool tradition, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May Day baskets, or in our case, May Day bouquets, were part of our family tradition. My mom was the May Queen her senior year of high school, and May Day remained special to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the May Day baskets may be of Scottish origin but I'm not sure. Some of the towns near us have May Day celebrations as well.
    The baskets that my mother and grandmother make/made are usually yogurt or dixie cups wrapped with crape paper with a pipe cleaner handle. There is usually some sort of paper flowers on them, and small mints or candy are put in the cups. They are given to seniors in nursing homes or through Meals on Wheels or church groups or whatever. At least that's what my grandmother always did. My mom gifted them to the Meals on Wheels program this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember my mother having mints in the May Day basket and I would sneak some of them. She liked the dinner mints. And she did make paper flowers as well. Thanks for bringing up a good memory.

    ReplyDelete