Monday, November 9, 2009

I tried to see her

Saturday marked 2 months since my grandmother had passed. I thought about that as I left the house late Saturday morning to head to the grocery store. I knew I'd be passing by my mother's apartment so when I got far enough out of the woods to get a cell signal, I pulled over and I called her. She was home. I invited her to come with me to run some errands and get some groceries. She accepted the invite and a few minutes later I was at her door. When I got there she had a bag full of stuff for me, and I protested a little. I really don't need more stuff from tag sales or whatever, but she insisted, and I could see in the pile was my grandmother's college diploma. So I dutifully put the bag in my daughter's car seat, and accepted it. My mom was talking non-stop so I really didn't need to say much. Evidently she was expecting to see a friend of her, an ex-boyfriend, but he was supposed to be at her house 2 hours ago and hadn't shown up so she figured she'd been stood up. As she chatted away, we drove down the road. Then she saw his pick-up truck. Quick! Do a U-Turn! There he is, headed to my house. So I pulled over, waited for traffic, and then brought her home. He was just about to knock on the door as we got there. I let her out, kept the bag of memoirs and tag sale stuff, and said goodbye. I'll try again another time I guess.

There is a long history between her and this ex of hers, and it's not for me to post it. They go back a long way, and there have been times when I've been angry with him. However he did show up at the burial for my grandmother, and that was nice of him. He didn't come to the funeral service, or the reception afterward. He just showed up at the cemetery, quietly, and then left. I know she regards him as a true friend. I guess it's good she has someone to reconnect with up here when she's feeling lonely. They're probably drinking together too, but I have to let that go.

No comments:

Post a Comment