Thursday, November 17, 2016

The (U.S.) Election - Politics and Al-Anon

I live in a very pro-Hillary Clinton area. My workplace is predominately a Democratic environment. Not everyone supports her though, myself included. I tend to go 3rd party and this election was no different. 

The election and the aftermath have not been easy. I know people who supported Trump and they are practically hiding in the closet even though Trump won. It shouldn't be like this, but it is.

My message to everyone though, regardless of where you stand, is this... If you are reading this post then you probably have some experience with a 12-step program. It's time to pull that stuff out and use it.

Let Go and Let God.
Let go of expectations!
Is it Necessary?
THINK!
Have faith. Everything is going to be ok.
You didn't cause it, you can't control it, and you can't cure it! I don't care how you voted. You alone did not do this! The electoral college does the voting. Not you. Not me.
Detach if you need to. That's ok. Protect yourself.
Boundaries can be good things.
You don't have to love it, but you have to accept it.
Use the Serenity Prayer.

What else?  What tools from Al-Anon, or elsewhere, have you been using to cope?


No comments:

Post a Comment